How do doctors decide if a donor is a match for a stem cell transplant?

Doctors use a blood test to make sure people are a good match with their stem cell transplant donor by comparing their human leukocyte antigen (HLA) markers to the donor’s. Basically, the closer the donor’s HLA type is to that of the person getting the stem cell transplant, the less likely the immune system is to attack, meaning there’s a better chance the transplant will work.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Stem Cells, Worth the Wait
Stem Cells, Worth the Wait
Headlines call it a miracle: In the well-respected medical journal, The Lancet, Canadian researchers reported that 23 people with debilitating multipl...
Do children with CF have to eat more food than children without CF?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Children with cystic fibrosis (CF) have to eat more food than their friends without CF to make sure ...
How are babies tested for cystic fibrosis (CF)?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Babies are tested for cystic fibrosis (CF) by looking for a cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductanc...
When Should I Get Genetic Counseling for Genetic Disorders?