Is there a cure for acid-base metabolism disorders?

Most acid-base metabolism disorders are treatable if detected early enough and if the cause of the disorder is managed appropriately. Some conditions that cause metabolic acidosis, such as diabetes and kidney disease, require careful treatment and management. Metabolic alkalosis usually is curable with appropriate treatment.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders and Birth Defects

Stem Cells, Worth the Wait
Stem Cells, Worth the Wait
Headlines call it a miracle: In the well-respected medical journal, The Lancet, Canadian researchers reported that 23 people with debilitating multipl...
What causes cystic fibrosis (CF)?
Cystic fibrosisis a metabolic disorder that’s passed on from parent to child. It’s seen mostly in Ca...
How is cystic fibrosis in children treated?
Treatment of cystic fibrosis in children is much like treatment for adults with the condition, but p...
When Should I Get Genetic Counseling for Genetic Disorders?