Is fragile X syndrome a sensory-related developmental disability?

Although fragile X syndrome is classified as a nervous system disorder and an intellectual and developmental disability (IDD), it is also a sensory-related developmental disability. Fragile X syndrome causes developmental delays because the brain does not develop normally. The sensory-related symptoms include sensitivity to bright lights and noise. They may react strongly to a sudden loud noise.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders

Self-Care for Parents of Children with Neurofibromatosis
Having a child with a chronic medical condition can be overwhelming for parents. While it may be difficult to leave your child’s side, it’s important ...
The 4 Best Ways to Get Help for Hereditary Angioedema
If you’re living with hereditary angioedema, a condition characterized by episodes of severe swelling in the limbs, face, airways and digestive tract,...
Who is likely to get rosacea?
Rosacea affects men and women, and people of all races, although it is most common in people wit...
How can I learn about genetic disorders in my family?
The Surgeon General's Family Health History Initiative is a program set up by the U.S. government to...