Will I pass fragile X to my baby if I am a carrier?

This gene is carried on the X-chromosome.  Women have 2 X-chromosomes and men have one X chromosome and one Y chromosome.  Girls get one X-chromosome from Mom and one X-chromosome from Dad, so if dad is a carrier, the girl will be too.   Mom Has 2 X chromosomes, so the chance of one of her daughters or sons getting the fragile X chromosome from her is a 50% chance.

Continue Learning about Genetic Disorders

Choosing a College or University When You Have SMA
Decisions about education are challenging for everyone. But when you or a loved one is living with a condition like spinal muscular atrophy (SMA), dec...
What is the Treatment for Spinal Muscular Atrophy?
Spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) is the name given to a collection of rare genetic disorders that affect motor neurons. Motor neurons are located in the ...
Why should I know about genetic disorders in my family's history?
Carrie BilickiCarrie Bilicki
By taking into consideration personal and family medical histories, a physician can identify patient...
What issues can ASMD cause in the bones and bone marrow?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Acid sphingomyelinase deficiency (ASMD) can lead to swollen cells in the bones, which can make them ...