What is the maximum daily dosage for stool softeners?

The maximum daily dosage for stool softeners depends on the age of the individual taking the medication and how it is administered. For docusate stool softeners taken orally, the normal daily dosage for adolescents and adults is 200 mg, but the maximum daily dosage is 500 mg. For children three to six years old, the maximum daily dosage is 60 mg, and for those six to 12 years old, it is 150 mg. For docusate given as an enema, the maximum dosage is usually 100 mg.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Agent

How effective are anticholinergic bronchodilators?
Anticholinergic bronchodilators are as effective as long-acting beta-agonists in improving airflow a...
What should I know before taking sulfasalazine?
Your doctor will need to do blood tests and check your liver function before you start treatment. I...
How effective is sulfasalazine?
Sulfasalazine has been used to treat RA for many years. Studies show that it is effective and works ...
What is a good safety rule when taking proton pump inhibitors?
Use proton pump inhibitors for no longer than 4 weeks. As a safe, well-tolerated alternative, tr...