What diet should I follow under phase IV of post-obesity-surgery?

Tonya Bolden
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

In early September I went into phase IV of my must, must, must healing plan. At last! For breakfast, lunch, and dinner some food I could sink my teeth into! -  kinda sorta. It was baby food. For breakfast: one ounce of a high-protein food, a half ounce of fruit, and a half ounce of starch.(two tablespoons)  For lunch and dinner: one ounce of a high-protein food; a half ounce of veggie; and a half ounce of starch or fruit.

The high-protein food list included pureed fish and meats; scrambled or pureed eggs; and several things I could not have due to lactose intolerance: cottage cheese, cream soups, yogurt, milk. For the fruit, it was take your pick - so long as it was pureed. Veggies? Whatever I wanted, just so long as it was pureed. And not gas forming. So I could say yes to carrots, green beans, squash, and such, but unless I wanted to be in a great deal of discomfort, I had to say no to the likes of broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, spinach, and cabbage. Until I healed, such gas-producing veggies would put too much strain on my little pouch.

For starches, it was more of the same from that recommended in phase III of postsurgery diet plan in the book Half The Mother, Twice The Love, plus the options of rice, pasta, and baby-soft mashed potatoes or yams. I was glad that I could eat some food with a bit more heft, but that baby food was icky; so flavorless. I understood why babies make that face when they see baby food coming toward them. I started pureeing my own food.

Half the Mother, Twice the Love: My Journey to Better Health with Diabetes

As a talk-show host and inspirational speaker, Mother Love used to have to just grin and bear it -- all that extra weight and the poor health that went along with it. Today she can truly smile as she...

Continue Learning about Gastric Bypass Surgery (Roux-en-Y)

Double Trouble: Unexpected Result of Sleeve Gastrectomy
College Times says the top three movies to watch when you’re tipsy are Superbad, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Rocky Horror Picture Show. We ...
Who should have gastric bypass surgery?
If you lose 100 pounds, you’ll gain 100% in self-confidence and health. You’ll dramatically reduce y...
Bariatric Surgery Explained in 5 Clicks
Bariatric Surgery Explained in 5 ClicksBariatric Surgery Explained in 5 ClicksBariatric Surgery Explained in 5 ClicksBariatric Surgery Explained in 5 Clicks
A surgeon describes what to expect from this popular weight loss surgery.
What Is Gastric Bypass Surgery?
What Is Gastric Bypass Surgery?