What changes should I expect after gastric bypass surgery?

Some of the changes you can expect after gastric bypass surgery are:
  • learning to eat differently
  • changes in your social outings or family events
  • learning new ways to cope for stress, boredom and anxiety
  • adapting your old life into your new lifestyle
  • relationship changes
  • a change in appetite
Your weight loss journey doesn’t end right after surgery. You’ll need to remain committed to a healthy lifestyle afterward. After surgery you will need to make some changes. You may have to:
  • Look at eating differently
  • Adjust your lifestyle
  • Develop new ways to cope with difficult emotions if you normally used food for comfort
  • Follow up with your doctor to make sure you’re staying on track
The decision to pursue bariatric surgery is not one to be taken lightly. It’s important to be realistic about your expectations and limitations. Weigh the pros and cons of this weight loss method.

This content originally appeared on http://blog.mountainstar.com/
Tonya Bolden
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Thankfully, I have girlfriends I could talk with about the details of my life change - including the gross side of bypass. When you don’t eat a lot, you don’t poop a lot. I really thought I was going to die when I could not have a proper bowel movement. Early on, it was hell. It was like trying to crap a brick. It was long, hard, and painful. I was crying and screaming and scaring everybody in the house. I was in agony. I did not have enough fluid in my intestinal tract to properly lubricate movement. I could not drink enough water to get that movement. You know how bad you feel and how bad your breath can smell when you cannot take a crap! I finally had to call the doctor. He said I could take a little bit of Milk of Magnesia. I am telling you: there is a very real ugly part of obesity surgery. I had to take unsocial (the generic form of Actigall) for six months after the surgery to guard against gallstones, a possible consequence of rapid weight loss. A drastic drop in pounds changes your bile mixture, and, as my MD told me, there is a 30 percent chance of developing gallstones because of this alteration in bile mixture. The good news: if medication is introduced within the first few months, your chance of developing gallstones drops to 3 percent. I never developed gallstones.
Half the Mother, Twice the Love: My Journey to Better Health with Diabetes

As a talk-show host and inspirational speaker, Mother Love used to have to just grin and bear it -- all that extra weight and the poor health that went along with it. Today she can truly smile as she...

Continue Learning about Gastric Bypass Surgery (Roux-en-Y)

Double Trouble: Unexpected Result of Sleeve Gastrectomy
College Times says the top three movies to watch when you’re tipsy are Superbad, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Rocky Horror Picture Show. We ...
What are the risks of gastric bypass (weight loss) surgery?
Nicole M. Fearing, MDNicole M. Fearing, MD
Risks depend on the specific type of procedure you are having. All weight loss surgeries have risks ...
Bariatric Surgery Explained in 5 Clicks
Bariatric Surgery Explained in 5 ClicksBariatric Surgery Explained in 5 ClicksBariatric Surgery Explained in 5 ClicksBariatric Surgery Explained in 5 Clicks
A surgeon describes what to expect from this popular weight loss surgery.
Which Weight Loss Surgery Is the Safest?