How do the brain and spinal cord help with bladder control?

Jill Rabin
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Your brain and your spinal cord serve as the command center for control. They coordinate the bladder, the bladder neck, the urethra, and the pelvic floor muscles. Messages exchanged between the brain and the spinal cord that travel to the body’s muscles and organs are responsible for a person’s continence or incontinence. When each system involved in bladder control receives and responds appropriately to these messages, continence is achieved. A breakdown in communication, which may be caused by physical or mental conditions, results in incontinence. It’s as simple as that.
Mind Over Bladder: I Never Met a Bathroom I Didn't Like!

Advance praise for Mind Over Bladder "Where is the closest bathroom?" If you listen hard enough, these are the words you hear from the lips of millions of women as they enter malls, lobbies, museums,...

Continue Learning about Functions of the Nervous System

What is central nervous system sanctuary therapy?
Central nervous system sanctuary therapy is chemotherapy or radiation therapy given to the central n...
What is dopamine?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
The brain produces a neurotransmitter called dopamine. Dopamine affects your brain processes tha...
What is emergence?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Emergence is the term used for the process of pattern formation in a complex system. The pattern is ...
What is neuromuscular efficiency?
According to the National Academy of Sports Medicine, neuromuscular efficiency refers to the abi...