How do the brain and spinal cord help with bladder control?

Jill Rabin
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Your brain and your spinal cord serve as the command center for control. They coordinate the bladder, the bladder neck, the urethra, and the pelvic floor muscles. Messages exchanged between the brain and the spinal cord that travel to the body’s muscles and organs are responsible for a person’s continence or incontinence. When each system involved in bladder control receives and responds appropriately to these messages, continence is achieved. A breakdown in communication, which may be caused by physical or mental conditions, results in incontinence. It’s as simple as that.
Mind Over Bladder: I Never Met a Bathroom I Didn't Like!

Advance praise for Mind Over Bladder "Where is the closest bathroom?" If you listen hard enough, these are the words you hear from the lips of millions of women as they enter malls, lobbies, museums,...

Continue Learning about Functions of the Nervous System

What is the enteric nervous system?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Dr. Jack Wood, a physiologist at The Ohio State University, has dubbed the enteric nervous system th...
What does the parasympathetic nervous system do?
The parasympathetic branch of the autonomic nervous system (ANS) has nerve fibers that originate...
What are the health benefits of serotonin?
Having healthy levels of serotonin could make you less likely to lash out under stress. In a stu...
What triggers the release of endorphins?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Endorphins are naturally produced by a wide range of activities. Exercise creates endorphins. We...