What is the relationship between the stomach and the brain?

The brain controls our entire body via the many neurons throughout our body. The stomach is related to the brain because throughout our gastrointestinal tract there are neurons from the brain that initiate digestion. The stomach being a part of the gastrointestinal tract (mouth to anus) is unique in that there is the enteric nervous system which is a specialized nervous system that specifically controls digestion and the movement of food through our bodies.

Continue Learning about Functions of the Brain

The Mediterranean Diet and Your Brain
The Mediterranean Diet and Your Brain
The word Mediterranean is Latin for “middle of the Earth.” The Ancient Romans gave the sea this name because it was the center of the earth as they kn...
What Happens If I Don't Move Around During the Day?