What is the neocortex?

The neocortex is the area of the brain where we do our deep thinking, form judgments and make decisions.

Lynne Kenney
The neocortex is located in the front of the head between your temples. It receives and stores information for decision making and remembering. It is involved in higher functions such as sensory perception, generation of motor commands, spatial reasoning, conscious thought, and in humans, language. The neocortex helps you parcel out actions and responses to your environment.

Continue Learning about Functions of the Brain

What makes brain cells stop working?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
When detectives try to solve a mystery, they look for clues and try to make sense of them.That's the...
What is the relationship between the brain and the mind?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
The brain is the central processing unit of the body and plays a key role in translating the con...
What is the function of the hippocampus?
John H. Growdon, MDJohn H. Growdon, MD
The hippocampus is active in converting information into long-term memory and in memory recall. ...
What Happens If I Don't Move Around During the Day?