What is the insula?

Dr. Marsha Lucas
The insula is a radically underappreciated part of the brain. It's been called by Daniel Siegel, M.D. the "the information superhighway" that runs up and down between higher, cortical brain areas; lower, limbic areas; and the body.

Experiments in which brain images are taken while the brain is emotionally "in action" have shown that the insula has an important role in the perception of bodily experiences, but also in the experience of a number of emotions.

Continue Learning about Functions of the Brain

The Mediterranean Diet and Your Brain
The Mediterranean Diet and Your Brain
The word Mediterranean is Latin for “middle of the Earth.” The Ancient Romans gave the sea this name because it was the center of the earth as they kn...
What is connectometrics?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
A branch of study called connectometrics allows researchers to see the connections between neurons i...
Does my brain continue to change when I'm an adult?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
The brain is incredibly adaptable and fully capable of change and, in fact, changes throughout your ...
What Happens If I Don't Move Around During the Day?