What is the function of the hippocampus?

The hippocampus is active in converting information into long-term memory and in memory recall. Repeated use of specialized nerve networks in the hippocampus enhances memory storage, so this structure is involved in learning from both commonplace experiences and deliberate study.

But not all experiences in a person's life are etched in memory, nor is it necessary to retain every bit of information. Here, emotions enter the memory process. Some neuroscientists believe the hippocampus helps select which memories are stored, perhaps by attaching an "emotion marker" to some events or information so they are more likely to be recalled.

Continue Learning about Functions of the Brain

The Mediterranean Diet and Your Brain
The Mediterranean Diet and Your Brain
The word Mediterranean is Latin for “middle of the Earth.” The Ancient Romans gave the sea this name because it was the center of the earth as they kn...
How do scientists study the effects of pleasure on the brain?
Ronald SiegelRonald Siegel
Scientists have used modern brain-imaging methods to help determine exactly which areas of the b...
What is the function of the brainstem?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
The brainstem, an extension of the spinal cord, is the oldest part of the brain in evolutionary term...
What Happens If I Don't Move Around During the Day?