What part of our brain activates food cravings?

When a 2004 study asked participants to think about a favorite food, resulting functional MRI images showed that three primary areas of the brain lit up: the hippocampus, insula and caudate.

The hippocampus is in the temporal lobe and filters sensory data to store it in short-term or long-term memory.

The insula, which is located on either side of the brain, helps to control your social emotions by interpreting what physical state you are in.

The caudate nucleus, which is in the striatrum in the center of the brain, helps to control the body's dopamine reward system. Dopamine, a feel-good hormone, also is produced during gambling, sex and drug activity.

The dopamine stimulation and chemical reward we get from fulfilling food cravings has been likened to drug addiction because the behaviors follow similar neural pathways.

The reward and pleasure is simply a milder version than the high experienced by drug addicts.

Neurologically, a fast food joint is not substantially different from a person who sells drugs.

Our emotional state also tends to have a greater impact on our cravings than on our hunger. Our diet influences our serotonin levels. Serotonin is a hormone that regulates our disposition.

Our sensory memories of some foods also elicit a chemical satisfaction, which reinforces our cravings.

Continue Learning about Functions of the Brain

The Mediterranean Diet and Your Brain
The Mediterranean Diet and Your Brain
The word Mediterranean is Latin for “middle of the Earth.” The Ancient Romans gave the sea this name because it was the center of the earth as they kn...
Does the brain change during a religious experience?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Recent studies have shown that numerous parts of the brain are activated in the midst of a religious...
What does the frontal cortex of my brain do?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
The frontal cortex of your brain is the highly developed area that allows for problem solving. This ...
What Happens If I Don't Move Around During the Day?