What parts of the brain are responsible for moral judgment?

Different parts of the brain react, depending on the morality of the decisions you make. In some MRI tests, researchers found that the left frontal lobe and temporal lobes were activated when making moral judgments, and it seems that when some of that neural circuitry is injured, our morality can also be impaired. Cats have very small frontal lobes so they tend to not be as compassionate. Women appear to access this part of the brain (not the cats', their own) more than men, especially during childbearing years. In this respect, female brains become more like male brains after menopause.

YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Functions of the Brain

Do drugs enhance brain function?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
Until recently the main chemical cognitive enhancer most people used was caffeine. But there are...
What does the frontal cortex of my brain do?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
The frontal cortex of your brain is the highly developed area that allows for problem solving. This ...
How can I overcome resistance from my brain to change my behavior?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
Although the brain can change, it usually won't do so without putting up a bit of a fight. That's be...
What Happens If I Don't Move Around During the Day?