What parts of the brain are responsible for moral judgment?

Different parts of the brain react, depending on the morality of the decisions you make. In some MRI tests, researchers found that the left frontal lobe and temporal lobes were activated when making moral judgments, and it seems that when some of that neural circuitry is injured, our morality can also be impaired. Cats have very small frontal lobes so they tend to not be as compassionate. Women appear to access this part of the brain (not the cats', their own) more than men, especially during childbearing years. In this respect, female brains become more like male brains after menopause.

YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Functions of the Brain

The Mediterranean Diet and Your Brain
The Mediterranean Diet and Your Brain
The word Mediterranean is Latin for “middle of the Earth.” The Ancient Romans gave the sea this name because it was the center of the earth as they kn...
What is the relationship between the brain and the mind?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
The brain is the central processing unit of the body and plays a key role in translating the con...
Does my brain continue to change when I'm an adult?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
The brain is incredibly adaptable and fully capable of change and, in fact, changes throughout your ...
What Happens If I Don't Move Around During the Day?