Why do I sweat when I eat?

A complication of diabetes that is related to nerve damage is called "gustatory sweating." The person with diabetes breaks out in a sweat from chewing food. The cause of this sweating is not known, but it may be related to having high blood glucose for a long time. You may also have increased sweating or flushing of the neck and chest.

Cheese or chocolate are the most common foods to cause sweating, but pickles, alcohol, vinegar, fresh fruits, and salty foods may do it, too. Various types of medications have been tried to treat this problem with varying levels of success. Although in some cases it stops by itself, try to keep your blood glucose as normal as possible and avoid specific foods. This may prevent sweating caused by food.

Continue Learning about Functions of Skin

Why do we have skin?
Skin is a dynamic, protective organ that grows, stretches, shrinks, creases, and wrinkles in res...
What are eccrine sweat glands?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
Our eccrine glands are considered to be our major sweat glands. When we sweat, we produce mostly wat...
How does sweating benefit my skin?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
If you exercise enough to break a sweat, you are doing your skin – and for that matter, your whole b...
What role do ceramides play in the skin's function?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Ceramides, naturally occurring skin lipids that are part of the skin's outer structure, are impo...