What is the purpose of sweating?

In a way, our skin acts as our third kidney, detoxifying our bodies. When we exert ourselves, not only do we sweat to cool our bodies, but we also increase blood flow, which releases toxins. Though it may not be so great on silk blouses and stair climbers, sweat is something you need to do regularly -- not just because of the cardiovascular and fat-frying benefits of exercise, but also because of its body-cleansing function. By the way, we can generate as much as a gallon of sweat in two hours.
You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Functions of Skin

Why do I sweat when I eat?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
 A complication of diabetes that is related to nerve damage is called "gustatory sweating." The pers...
Why might I not sweat?
Dr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, NDDr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, ND
There are certain human conditions that can cause lack of sweating: medications such as anti-psy...
What are lipids and what do they have to do with my skin?
Combined with proteins, lipids (fats) form the natural skin barrier which holds in moisture and keep...
Why do skin tags happen?
MediGuardMediGuard
Skin tags can occur at any age on anybody and they generally are not related to hygiene or medicatio...