What is the apocrine gland?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The apocrine gland is a type of gland that is found in the skin, breast, eyelid, and ear. Apocrine glands in the breast secrete fat droplets into breast milk and those in the ear help form earwax. Apocrine glands in the skin and eyelid are sweat glands. Most apocrine glands in the skin are in the armpits, the groin, and the area around the nipples of the breast. Apocrine glands in the skin are scent glands, and their secretions usually have an odor. Another type of gland (eccrine gland or simple sweat gland) produces most sweat.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Functions of Skin

Does your skin contain protein?
The skin is composed of water, protein, and fat. The most commonly known proteins in the skin are co...
What do sebaceous glands do?
Sebaceous glands produce an oil called sebum, which is thought to play a role in keeping your sk...
How can I sweat more?
Dr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, NDDr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, ND
To help get the sweating going, consider starting an exercise routine if you do not currently ha...
Could I have very salty sweat?
Yes. Equipment in physiology labs can assess the mineral content of an athlete’s sweat, but ther...