What do sebaceous glands do?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Sebaceous glands produce an oil called sebum, which is thought to play a role in keeping your skin moist. Sebaceous glands are located next to individual hairs in sebaceous follicles. The hormones that cause body changes at puberty also cause the sebaceous glands to produce more oil. If this oil mixes with dead skin cells and blocks a pore, it can produce a pimple.

Continue Learning about Functions of Skin

Is my skin normal for my age?
Your face is your most precious asset - and the condition of your skin largely determines whether yo...
What is the role of squalane in the skin?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Squalane is a naturally occurring oil found in human skin. This fine emollient does a superb job...
How can I sweat more?
Dr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, NDDr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, ND
To help get the sweating going, consider starting an exercise routine if you do not currently ha...
Why is elbow skin loose?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
It is normal for elbow skin to be loose so that movement at the elbow joint can take place. This...