How is the stratum corneum different from the epidermis as a whole?

The stratum corneum is the epidermis' protective outer layer. The stratum corneum is composed of cells, cushioned by layers of lipids. So, if the epidermis as a whole is the body's first line of defense against the environment, the stratum corneum acts as the barrier or seal, to keep the contents of the skin intact and optimally hydrated.

Continue Learning about Functions of Skin

Why do I sweat when I eat?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
 A complication of diabetes that is related to nerve damage is called "gustatory sweating." The pers...
What's the largest human organ?
The skin is the largest human organ.
What are eccrine sweat glands?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
Our eccrine glands are considered to be our major sweat glands. When we sweat, we produce mostly wat...
What causes chronic sweating?
If you sweat more than a sumo wrestler in the Sahara, then you may have a condition called hyper...