How does my skin grow?

Your skin grows from the constant replacement of skin cells. Every inch of your body contains more than 19 million skin cells. Your body sheds 30,000 to 40,000 skin cells every day and replaces them with new ones. The older cells move from the bottom of the epidermis, or top layer of your skin, to the very top before they flake off.

Continue Learning about Functions of Skin

Why am I getting a turkey neck?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
“Turkey neck”—as it’s charmingly called—is what happens when the skin underneath your chin becomes l...
What is oily skin?
Oily skin looks shiny and greasy, typically with medium- to large-sized pores. The condition results...
What are lipids and what do they have to do with my skin?
Combined with proteins, lipids (fats) form the natural skin barrier which holds in moisture and keep...
How does puberty affect the skin's sebaceous glands?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
In people who are prone to acne, starting when they are approximately 7 to 8 years old, the overall ...