How does my skin grow?

Your skin grows from the constant replacement of skin cells. Every inch of your body contains more than 19 million skin cells. Your body sheds 30,000 to 40,000 skin cells every day and replaces them with new ones. The older cells move from the bottom of the epidermis, or top layer of your skin, to the very top before they flake off.

Continue Learning about Functions of Skin

What is the epidermis?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
The top layer of the skin, the epidermis, is the waterproofing layer. It keeps everything on the...
How does my skin renew itself?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Some of the cells of the outer layer of your skin, the epidermis, slough off about once a week. This...
What does skin do for the body?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Some of the things skin does for the body include the following: Skin acts as a waterproof barrie...
How do I maintain the integrity of the stratum corneum?
To maintain the integrity of the stratum corneum, or skin barrier, it is important to minimize distu...