Does your skin contain protein?

The skin is composed of water, protein, and fat. The most commonly known proteins in the skin are collagen and keratin. Within the very outermost layer of skin, also known as the Stratum Corneum or skin barrier, skin cells are made up of proteins that can be easily damaged by harsh cleansing. Using a mild and moisturizing cleanser can help to protect those proteins and keep your skin barrier intact.

Continue Learning about Functions of Skin

What does the stratum corneum do?
The stratum corneum, or the skin barrier, acts as our first line of defense against the external env...
How do I maintain the integrity of the stratum corneum?
To maintain the integrity of the stratum corneum, or skin barrier, it is important to minimize distu...
What role do ceramides play in the skin's function?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Ceramides, naturally occurring skin lipids that are part of the skin's outer structure, are impo...
Is my skin normal for my age?
Your face is your most precious asset - and the condition of your skin largely determines whether yo...