Does your skin contain protein?

The skin is composed of water, protein, and fat. The most commonly known proteins in the skin are collagen and keratin. Within the very outermost layer of skin, also known as the Stratum Corneum or skin barrier, skin cells are made up of proteins that can be easily damaged by harsh cleansing. Using a mild and moisturizing cleanser can help to protect those proteins and keep your skin barrier intact.

Continue Learning about Functions of Skin

What is the epidermis?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
The top layer of the skin, the epidermis, is the waterproofing layer. It keeps everything on the...
What are eccrine sweat glands?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
Our eccrine glands are considered to be our major sweat glands. When we sweat, we produce mostly wat...
What is the protective role of skin?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
As the body’s outer covering, the skin protects the internal organs against heat, light, injury,...
Why does my skin change as I age?
Dr. Kelly TraverDr. Kelly Traver
As we age, we all start to see and feel changes in our skin. Some of these changes are natural, unav...