How do nerve cells communicate?

Here is how neurons (nerve cells) communicate:

1. An electrical signal travels down the axon.
  2. Chemical neurotransmitter molecules are released into the synapse.
  3. The neurotransmitter molecules bind to receptor sites on the releasing neuron and the second neuron.
  4. The signal is picked up by the second neuron and is either passed along or halted.
  5. The signal is also picked up by the first neuron, causing reuptake, the process by which the cell that released the neurotransmitter takes back some of the remaining molecules.

Continue Learning about Functions of Nerves

Why do I sneeze when I look at the sun?
The culprit: The photic sneeze reflex, which usually causes more than one sneeze and occurs in appro...
How do the nerves of your body communicate?
Amid all the moosh and goosh and squoosh that's jellied up under your skull, there's the ultimate co...
What are the lumbar nerve roots?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The lumbar nerve roots are pairs of nerves that exit from the spinal cord, below each vertebra i...
What is the function of nerves in spinal joints?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
Spinal joints are very rich in tiny sensory nerve fibers that detect their exact position and re...