How do nerve cells communicate?

Here is how neurons (nerve cells) communicate:

1. An electrical signal travels down the axon.
  2. Chemical neurotransmitter molecules are released into the synapse.
  3. The neurotransmitter molecules bind to receptor sites on the releasing neuron and the second neuron.
  4. The signal is picked up by the second neuron and is either passed along or halted.
  5. The signal is also picked up by the first neuron, causing reuptake, the process by which the cell that released the neurotransmitter takes back some of the remaining molecules.

Continue Learning about Functions of Nerves

What ensures that nerve signals go to the right cells?
One important factor for accurate movement of nerve signals is sufficient myelin, which covers nerve...
What are the lumbar nerve roots?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The lumbar nerve roots are pairs of nerves that exit from the spinal cord, below each vertebra i...
What is the function of nerves in spinal joints?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
Spinal joints are very rich in tiny sensory nerve fibers that detect their exact position and re...
Why do I sneeze when I pluck my eyebrows?
The sneezing reflex is often considered more complex than calculus problem. A sneeze-whether it's in...