Here is how neurons (nerve cells) communicate:
- An electrical signal travels down the axon.
- Chemical neurotransmitter molecules are released into the synapse.
- The neurotransmitter molecules bind to receptor sites on the releasing neuron and the second neuron.
- The signal is picked up by the second neuron and is either passed along or halted.
- The signal is also picked up by the first neuron, causing reuptake, the process by which the cell that released the neurotransmitter takes back some of the remaining molecules.