How can I use word association to improve my memory?

While we may feel our memories just aren’t what they used to be, we actually have an innate ability to remember just about anything – so long as we train ourselves to use the right mechanisms. It may shock you, but you have the ability to memorize a list of 20 or 30 items, simply by forming big, important, or even silly associations with each item. For example, say you need to remember the word “baker.” If you think of a friend with the last name “Baker,” you may have some success. If, however, you think of a bread baker, wearing a white hat and apron, doused in flour, surrounded by the aroma of freshly baked croissants, you won’t forget the word “baker” for days! You can do the same with a shopping list, a to-do chart, or just about anything, so long as you associate high importance with all 20 items. Doing so will have a positive, expansive effect on your hippocampus, fighting off Alzheimer's.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Memory

Defend Yourself Against Memory Loss
Defend Yourself Against Memory Loss
If you're a fan of dynamic duos -- Batman and Robin, peanut butter and bananas, Roizen and Oz -- here's a new pair your brain will love: exercise and ...
What are the different types of memory?
Robert J. Hedaya, MDRobert J. Hedaya, MD
There are many different types of memory. One type, called procedural memory (remembering an organiz...
What are bacopa supplements?
Dr. Sanam Hafeez, PsyDDr. Sanam Hafeez, PsyD
Bacopa monnieri is a nootropic herb that is touted to improve memory and cognition. Watch neuropsych...
Is There a Brain Exercise I Can Do That Will Improve My Memory?