How can I use word association to improve my memory?

While we may feel our memories just aren’t what they used to be, we actually have an innate ability to remember just about anything – so long as we train ourselves to use the right mechanisms. It may shock you, but you have the ability to memorize a list of 20 or 30 items, simply by forming big, important, or even silly associations with each item. For example, say you need to remember the word “baker.” If you think of a friend with the last name “Baker,” you may have some success. If, however, you think of a bread baker, wearing a white hat and apron, doused in flour, surrounded by the aroma of freshly baked croissants, you won’t forget the word “baker” for days! You can do the same with a shopping list, a to-do chart, or just about anything, so long as you associate high importance with all 20 items. Doing so will have a positive, expansive effect on your hippocampus, fighting off Alzheimer's.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Memory

Making Memories with Pills
Making Memories with Pills
Did I take my pills today? You may be able to answer the question with clarity if you get a little creative. Example: Take your medicine a different ...
Improve Memory with a Power Nap
Improve Memory with a Power Nap
You could improve memory skills with this brilliant little habit: power napping.  In a study, people who took a power nap after learning a new task p...
What are benefits of memorizing poetry?
Dr. Cynthia R. Green, PhDDr. Cynthia R. Green, PhD
Reading poetry gets our mind out of its "box" and is a wonderful source of intellectual challeng...
Are memory and language connected?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Our lack of language skills when we are very young may explain why our earliest memories may remain ...