How can exercise help improve my memory?

A recent study showed that a 20-minute walk every day is all the extra activity it took to help counter faltering memories in a group of people over age 50.

After just six months of doing an extra 20 minutes of exercise daily (on top of the physical activity done normally), a group of adults experiencing slight losses in memory and verbal fluency saw improvements. More good news: The exercise didn't have to be terribly taxing. Not only did walking work but so did swimming and ballroom dancing. Even better, the improvements persisted for 12 months after the study ended, and some benefits lasted up to 18 months. The research suggests that exercise may help delay Alzheimer's in at-risk adults -- people who have mild cognitive decline.

Although it's yet not fully understood how staying active improves the mind, it may be that the boost in blood flow nourishes brain tissue and, by extension, stimulates the generation of new neurons, synapses, and blood vessels. Exercise can also relieve stress and enhance your mood.

Continue Learning about Memory

Boost Brain Power to Prevent Memory Loss
You can maintain—even improve—your brain power when you hit your prime (45 years and older). We have 3 tips to buoy your brain and prevent memory loss...
How can I remember names, places, and faces as I age?
There are some things that can help your memory. Learn about them in this video with Dr. Oz.
How can I safely use the stove and oven if I memory problems?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
There are two things you can do to work safely in the kitchen, with the stove and oven, if you h...
What is a simple way to improve my memory and concentration?
You've heard it before -- drink water. A lack of water leads to dehydration, which can leave you...