Are memory and language connected?

Our lack of language skills when we are very young may explain why our earliest memories may remain blocked from our consciousness. A study done in 2004 traced the verbal development in boys and girls, at 27 months and 39 months, as a measure of how well they could recall a past event. Researchers found that if the children did not know the words to describe an event when it happened, they could not describe it later after having the vocabulary.

Being able to recognize yourself also contributes to autobiographical memories. Some researchers have proposed that children do not have the skills to recognize themselves or develop personal identity until they are 16 or 24 months old.

Many explanations exist regarding childhood amnesia, but language, brain structure and sense of self are its foundation.

Continue Learning about Memory

Making Memories with Pills
Making Memories with Pills
Did I take my pills today? You may be able to answer the question with clarity if you get a little creative. Example: Take your medicine a different ...
What are bacopa supplements?
Dr. Sanam Hafeez, PsyDDr. Sanam Hafeez, PsyD
Bacopa monnieri is a nootropic herb that is touted to improve memory and cognition. Watch neuropsych...
How does DHA affect memory and cognitive function in older adults?
Majid Fotuhi, MDMajid Fotuhi, MD
DHA is excellent brain food; when you increase DHA levels, you increase the size of your hippocampus...
What Applications Can Help Someone with Memory Problems?