Are memory and language connected?

Our lack of language skills when we are very young may explain why our earliest memories may remain blocked from our consciousness. A study done in 2004 traced the verbal development in boys and girls, at 27 months and 39 months, as a measure of how well they could recall a past event. Researchers found that if the children did not know the words to describe an event when it happened, they could not describe it later after having the vocabulary.

Being able to recognize yourself also contributes to autobiographical memories. Some researchers have proposed that children do not have the skills to recognize themselves or develop personal identity until they are 16 or 24 months old.

Many explanations exist regarding childhood amnesia, but language, brain structure and sense of self are its foundation.

Continue Learning about Memory

How can I remember names, places, and faces as I age?
There are some things that can help your memory. Learn about them in this video with Dr. Oz.
What is memory?
David A. Merrill, MDDavid A. Merrill, MD
Memory is a part of cognition. Memory is not only a mental but also a physical brain process. Our br...
Can storytelling benefit the brain?
Dr. Cynthia R. Green, PhDDr. Cynthia R. Green, PhD
Storytelling is certain to get your creative juices going and give you a great way to challenge ...
How can having a positive attitude help my memory?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Attitude is everything. Having a positive attitude makes you more alert and receptive to receivi...