How does my knee joint work?

Sandwiched between your two longest bones, which are the femur (thigh bone) and the tibia (shin bone), your knee works like a door hinge. It bends in only one direction, backward, never sideways or forward. Check it out, but not too hard.  Because of its limited range of motion, along with the heavy load it carries, plus the potential of torque (twisting motions), your knee is at risk for strain and injury.

YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Functions of Joints

Why doesn’t my elbow bend backward as far as it bends forward?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Your elbow doesn't bend backward as far as it does forward because the olecranon process, the ti...
What are spinal joints?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
Located in the rear and slightly to the sides of each vertebra, there are two top and two bottom...
How do joints work?
The simple physiology of almost all of our joints is this: They link one bone to another to allow us...
What is the function of the knee?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
The largest joint in the body is the knee. It acts as a hinge that allows your lower leg and foo...