How do I care for someone with a foot related sports injury?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If a foot related sports injury causes extreme pain or swelling, or feels abnormal, you should take the person to the hospital. If the pain is minor, you can treat them with RICE: rest, ice, compression, and elevation. You may then start rehabilitation. You don't want to overexert or reinjure the foot, but minor exercise can help the area heal. Have the person begin by moving the foot around. Once this can be done to a full range of motion without pain, have them stretch it. Then, you can move on to low impact exercises, such as bicycling or swimming.

Jack D. Potter
Fitness

R.I.C.E for Injuries

If you suffer from a sports related injury, use R.I.C.E. The term stands for Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation.

Rest - Take a break from exercise or any type of movement that may stress the injured area. A minor injury should be rested for one or two days, while more severe injuries may need longer.
Ice - Ice the swollen area. Icing reduces pain, limits swelling and bleeding, and encourages rapid healing. Wrap ice in a towel to avoid direct contact with the skin.
Compress - Compress the injury with a stretch bandage. Make sure not to wrap it too tight, just enough to support the injured area.
Elevate - Elevate the limb. If possible, try to keep the injured part above the level of the heart. At the very least, try to keep it higher than the hips. This helps limit swelling and also prevents movement of the area that is injured.

Continue Learning about Foot-Related Sports Injuries

Indoor Field Sports Hazzard: Turf Toe
Indoor Field Sports Hazzard: Turf Toe
The coldest NFL football game may have been the Ice Bowl played at Green Bay’s Lambeau Field, on December, 31, 1967 (air temperature was -13°F; windch...
What are the treatment options for foot related sports injuries?
Many foot related sports injuries can be treated with RICE: rest, ice, compression, and elevation. O...
Can foot-related sports injuries be prevented?
If you play sports or exercise, it's unlikely that you'll go your entire life without some kind of f...
What Treatments for Ankle Pain Are Available?