How do I know if my blister is infected?

Aaron Nelson
Sports Medicine
A blister is usually infected if you see an increase in redness around the formation of the blister. Also, the liquid in the blister is normally clear. If it consists of an abnormal color or pus, it is probably infected. It is important to have a physician address an infected blister as this can turn into a more serious problem if not taken care of right away.

A blister may be infected if it begins to get redder, becomes hot or swollen, and is increasingly painful. Be sure to go to a doctor if you suspect an infection, especially if you are a diabetic or someone with circulation problems.

You can avoid friction blisters on your feet by wearing the right shoes and socks.

Continue Learning about Foot Skin and Nail Care

Foot Skin and Nail Care

Foot Skin and Nail Care

Taking good care of your feet and toenails can ward off calluses, athletes foot and other problems. For people with diabetes, good foot care is particularly important. Wash and dry your feet daily with mild soap and warm water. Cu...

t toenails straight across after bathing and pat feet thoroughly dry, then apply a soothing lotion. Wearing comfortable shoes and roomy socks made from natural fibers like cotton and wool will allow moisture to escape and help avoid athletes foot and calluses. So will using talcum powder and wearing sandals in public areas like locker rooms.