Should I talk to my doctor about my athlete's foot symptoms?

You should talk to your doctor about your athlete's foot symptoms, especially if they don't go away after practicing good foot hygiene and trying over-the-counter antifungal treatments. Washing and drying your feet thoroughly, and using powders and creams available at the drugstore, is often effective at treating mild cases of athlete's foot, which is caused by the fungus tinea. If that doesn't work, your doctor can prescribe stronger medications, either topical or oral, or both. Your doctor is the best source of information about how to deal with athlete's foot.

Many people try over-the-counter athlete's foot products to treat their athlete's foot symptoms. However, if you've never had athlete's foot before or you are unsure that you have athlete's foot, you should see your doctor to confirm a diagnosis. In addition, if your case is severe, or if your athlete's foot does not go away using over-the-counter products, you may want to talk to your doctor. Your doctor may want to examine you and ask you about your risk factors to help you find relief.

Continue Learning about Foot Skin and Nail Care

5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
Athlete’s Foot Athlete’s foot, or tinea pedis, is an infection that leads to itchy, burning, scaly and inflamed skin. It’s caused by ringworm, a fungu...
What are Southey's tubes?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
English physician Reginald Southey, in the 19th century, introduced the use of small tubes to treat ...
Why do my feet get so dry?
Because there are fewer oil glands on your feet, they are much more likely to become dry. As you get...
Sneak Peek: Are Gel Manicures Safe?
Sneak Peek: Are Gel Manicures Safe?