What are some ways to prevent heel pain?

Dr. Anita Gupta
Anesthesiologist

Heel pain can occur for a variety of reasons, the most common being plantar fasciitis, which is when the connective tissue or ligament on the sole of your feet (plantar fascia) becomes inflamed. Heel pain is painful and deteriorates the quality of life, but can be avoided. It is important to be active by walking and doing light lifting to keep the feet in a healthy condition. By maintaining a normal weight, you carry less weight on your feet than those who are overweight (who often suffer from plantar fasciitis). Do not strain your feet in sports. So many athletes become competitive and hurt their appendages, so it is important to be careful to avoid sports-related injuries. Tight calf muscles contribute to plantar fasciitis, so stretching before and after working out, as well as in the morning, is highly recommended. Improper shoes greatly cause heel pain, especially with those who have high arches. Finding supportive shoes can make a big difference. If possible, rest with your feet elevated and do not do anything strenuous. It may even be helpful to wear orthotics, which support the arch of your foot in your shoe. Other ways to relieve pain include applying ice/heat or using night splints to stretch the fascia.

The best way to prevent heel pain is by wearing appropriate footwear.

Dr. Christopher P. Chiodo, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon

Heel pain can take several forms, but it usually develops when people overdo high-impact exercise or wear poorly fitting shoes. Some heel pain can be prevented by wearing supportive shoes with cushioned heels, by warming up before you exercise, and by avoiding excess weight gain as you grow older.

Continue Learning about Foot and Ankle Conditions

Worst Case Scenario: I Wear High Heels Every Day
High heels may turn your outfit up a notch, but they can wreak havoc on your body. “Other than how they make you look, there’s very little upside to ...
What is posterior impingement in the ankles?
Thomas P. San Giovanni, MDThomas P. San Giovanni, MD
When tissues in the ankle joint become trapped between the bones, this can cause pain. Pain in the b...
What should I check for when my child wears the clubfoot brace?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
• Check the brace area for blisters or red areas on the skin.• Check the heels and ankles for any si...
How Is Ankle Instability Treated?
How Is Ankle Instability Treated?