What is clubfoot in babies?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

A clubfoot or congenital talipes equinovarus is a congenital anomaly involving one or both feet. The affected foot appears rotated internally at the ankle resulting in it being positioned at a sharp angle to the ankle. Clubfoot is a relatively common birth anomaly and is more commonly seen in male than females. Clubfoot is usually an isolated finding in an otherwise healthy infant.

Clubfoot occurs when a baby is born with a foot that is abnormally positioned. The front of the foot is curved in, and the heel is pointed down. If it's untreated it can be very difficult to get around. The foot is twisted over, so rather than walking flat on the foot the child would have to walk on top of the foot. 

Babies are sometimes born with clubfoot. A clubfoot is a deformity that causes the foot to be turned so that:

• The foot points downward and the toes turn inward.
  • The bottom of the foot is twisted inward.

Sometimes the clubfoot can be seen before the baby is born using ultrasound. The cause of clubfoot is not known.

Continue Learning about Foot and Ankle Conditions

Worst Case Scenario: I Wear High Heels Every Day
High heels may turn your outfit up a notch, but they can wreak havoc on your body. “Other than how they make you look, there’s very little upside to ...
How is osteochondritis dissecans diagnosed?
Christopher W. Hodgkins, MDChristopher W. Hodgkins, MD
To initially diagnose osteochondritis dissecans (OCD), your doctor will conduct a physical exam to a...
What specialist should I see for ankle swelling?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
While seeing a specialist is beneficial, you may want to see your primary healthcare provider for yo...
Sizing Up Athlete's Foot
Sizing Up Athlete's Foot