What causes hallux rigidus?

Hallux rigidus is a progressive condition that affects the base of the big toe, making it difficult to bend the toe up or down. When cartilage wears down in the metatarsophalangeal (MTP) joint, the raw bone ends can rub together. As a result, a bone spur may develop and prevent the toe from bending as much as it needs. The condition can result from many factors, including differences in foot anatomy that increase the stress on the joint, fallen arches, rheumatoid arthritis, and past injuries that may have damaged the articular cartilage.

Continue Learning about Foot and Ankle Conditions

Worst Case Scenario: I Wear High Heels Every Day
High heels may turn your outfit up a notch, but they can wreak havoc on your body. “Other than how they make you look, there’s very little upside to ...
How can a weekly foot exfoliation help prevent foot pain?
Suzanne M. Levine, DPMSuzanne M. Levine, DPM
A weekly exfoliating foot facial can help prevent foot pain by reducing swelling, muscle spasms and ...
What is a neuroma of the foot?
Dr. Celeste Robb-NicholsonDr. Celeste Robb-Nicholson
Nerve irritation can produce a burning sensation or numbness in the foot and may be responsible for ...
Are My Shoes Causing Foot Problems?
Are My Shoes Causing Foot Problems?