How can heel pain be treated?

Heel pain is a common problem with active people and can be very debilitating. If the patient has persistent heel pain on the bottom of the heel and foot, the most likely culprit would be pain associated with plantar fasciitis, a heel spur or perhaps a stress fracture of the calcaneus (heel). X-rays and a bone scan can be used to rule these problems out and can be prescribed by a physician. Following diagnosis, treatment in the form of medication and exercise can be initiated to help. In any case, a physician’s evaluation and diagnosis is the first step.

Continue Learning about Foot and Ankle Conditions

Worst Case Scenario: I Wear High Heels Every Day
High heels may turn your outfit up a notch, but they can wreak havoc on your body. “Other than how they make you look, there’s very little upside to ...
Are foot problems life threatening?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
For the most part, foot problems are annoying, painful, and sometimes disabling, but they are ra...
What is the Ponseti method of treating a child’s clubfoot?
Medical City Children’s HospitalMedical City Children’s Hospital
In the Ponseti method of treating a child's clubfoot, the abnormally positioned foot is put in a ser...
What Treatments for Ankle Pain Are Available?