What are the risks of refreezing raw meat?

Meat shipped to the supermarket is first frozen in advance, then thawed out and put on display to make it look fresh. Each time meat goes through these sorts of temperature variations, the greater the risk of bacterial exposure and growth. So, while you may be tempted to buy extra meat then freeze it, doing so puts you and your family at risk. The simple solution? Buy only enough meat at a time so you can cook it all within a day or two.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Food Storage & Health

The Dos and Don’ts of Reheating Leftovers
According to some accounts, in 1953, C.A. Swanson & Sons had more than 500,000 pounds of unsold turkey after Thanksgiving. One employee suggested they...
How can I store grapes?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Grapes do not ripen after harvesting, so look for grapes that are well colored, plump, firmly attach...
How can I safely store perishable foods?
Properly storing foods can help maintain their quality. Make sure perishable foods never sit out of ...
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
Check out these tips for where to store and when to toss common food items in your kitchen from culinary nutritionist Stefanie Sacks. Have you ever op...