How should I store blackstrap molasses?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

It is recommended that you buy organic, unsulfured blackstrap molasses and store it in an airtight container, either in a cool area or in the refrigerator. An opened container has a six-month shelf life, while unopened jars can last up to one year. Heating blackstrap molasses by placing the container in hot (not boiling) water can help reduce its viscosity, allowing it to be poured or scooped out more effectively.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Food Storage & Health

What You Need to Know About the Harmful Plastics Called Phthalates
Taking charge of how the environment affects your health is more necessary—and more possible—now than ever. That’s because we are increasingly knowled...
How can I store Brazil nuts?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
Brazil nuts, and all nuts, have a high fat content which make them more likely to go rancid. Heat, l...
How should I store bee pollen?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Bee pollen, propolis, and royal jelly are most often available in the refrigerated sections in healt...
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
Check out these tips for where to store and when to toss common food items in your kitchen from culinary nutritionist Stefanie Sacks.