How long are leftovers safe to eat?

In general, most perishable leftover foods have a shelf life of just three to five days. However, different foods have different timelines, so use this quick reference list as a guideline:

Main dishes
  • Beef, pork, poultry and fish: 3 to 4 days
  • Lunch meats: 3 to 5 days
  • Seafood: 2 days
  • Pasta: 3 to 5 days
Side dishes
  • Cooked fresh vegetables: 3 to 4 days
  • Rice: 1 week
  • Soup: 3 to 4 days
Always check for unusual odors. And if ever in doubt, the best rule is to throw it out.
Deborah Beauvais
Manage Your Own Leftovers! Most perishable foods have a shelf life of just three to five days; don’t wait for the clean-up crew to throw out your leftovers: Label and date your food and make sure to toss it in a timely fashion. If you aren’t sure how old something is, remember, when in doubt, throw it out!

When cleaning prepackaged food out of the office fridge or home fridge remember:
  • “Use by” or “best if used by” date is not a safety-related date. It’s the last date recommended for use of the product at optimal quality.
  • “Expiration” date means don’t consume the product after this date.

Continue Learning about Food Storage & Health

How Can I Tell If My Food Is Contaminated?