What kind of medication should I take if I get staph food poisoning?

Leigh Vinocur, MD
Emergency Medicine
No antibiotics are necessary for staph food poisoning because the toxin, not the bacteria, causes the illness. Most people just need plenty of rest and fluids. At times, a medication can be prescribed to combat nausea and help keep fluids down. However high risk patients (the very old, very young and immune compromised individuals) are susceptible to dehydration and may need intravenous fluids.

Continue Learning about Food Poisoning

Easy Ways to Prevent Food Contamination
Easy Ways to Prevent Food Contamination
In the BBC-3 series Climaxed, mini-episodes explore hit-and-miss relationships between people after they have sex. One four-minute taste of Sam ‘n’ El...
How should I handle listeriosis if I'm pregnant?
While listeriosis is often a very mild condition for normal, healthy individuals, it is a very serio...
How serious are foodborne illnesses in the United States?
Every year, one in six Americans become ill from a foodborne pathogen. Nearly 13,000 experience ...
10 Surprising Facts About the Deadliest Foodborne Bacteria
10 Surprising Facts About the Deadliest Foodborne Bacteria10 Surprising Facts About the Deadliest Foodborne Bacteria10 Surprising Facts About the Deadliest Foodborne Bacteria10 Surprising Facts About the Deadliest Foodborne Bacteria
Papaya, chicken and even your pet turtle can make you sick. You’d like to think that everything you eat is free from germs that could make you sick, b...