What is botulism food poisoning?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Botulism food poisoning is an uncommon but life-threatening illness caused by the Clostridium botulinum bacteria. The bacteria produce a powerful toxin that paralyzes the nervous system and can be fatal if not treated quickly. The bacteria are found in canned food.

Continue Learning about Food Poisoning

Can I handle meat if I have a high risk of serious illness from Listeria?
People at higher risk of serious illness from Listeria, especially older adults, those with a weaken...
How should I handle listeriosis if I'm pregnant?
While listeriosis is often a very mild condition for normal, healthy individuals, it is a very serio...
How is severe food poisoning prevented?
The prevention of severe food poisoning is best achieved by meticulous hand washing, safe food h...
How can I keep food safe in my refrigerator?
To keep food safe in your refrigerator, do the following: Keep the refrigerator temperature it at...