Why are food allergies more common in children than adults?

Ms. Vandana  R. Sheth
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Many children outgrow their allergies before they reach adulthood, but there is an increase in the number of children developing food allergies. There are various theories about why, however, none of these are established. Some of the theories include:

1. Clean theory/hypothesis—children are growing up in an environment that is too clean.
  2. One theory is that the Western diet has made people more susceptible to developing allergies and other illnesses.
  3. The decrease in richness of gut bacteria in Westerners may have something to do with the rise in allergies in industrialized countries, said Dr. Paolo Lionetti of the department of pediatrics at Meyer Children Hospital at the University of Florence.
  4. Another theory is that children need to get exposed to common allergens, such as nuts and shellfish, from a much earlier age, to avoid developing allergies. Some doctors have been recommending waiting until 2 or 3, but Ferdman at Children's Hospital Los Angeles is a proponent of giving kids nuts very early.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

How Can I Get My Digestion Back on Track?
Why Should I Avoid High-Fructose Corn Syrup?
What Can I Do If I Suspect I Have a Food Allergy?
How Can I Help Prevent Food Allergies?
How Can I Help Prevent Food Allergies?