What should I feed a baby with a milk allergy?

Since many kids are allergic to the protein in cow's milk, you need to watch out for symptoms that may indicate such an allergy in babies. The symptoms may include bloody or mucousy stools, irritability and the baby drawing her knees up to her abdomen from cramping. If that's the case, and you are feeding with formula, you can switch to a nonallergenic brand, and the symptoms will usually resolve within a few days. And if you're breast-feeding, you may need to experiment with your own diet. Eliminating milk protein from your diet often will do the trick. Children often outgrow milk allergies by age two, so ask your doctor about reintroducing milk in small amounts periodically to see if your child can tolerate it down the line.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

How serious are food allergies?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Food allergies can be very serious. If you have a food allergy it is important to have an emergency ...
Could I be allergic to carmine?
Clifford W. Bassett, MDClifford W. Bassett, MD
Carmine (a red food coloring made from beetles) has been used as a coloring agent in many foods from...
How do medications treat soy allergies?
Medications can't treat the soy allergy itself, but they can treat the symptoms. Oral antihistamines...
How to Spot Food Allergies in Kids
How to Spot Food Allergies in Kids