How serious are food allergies?

Food allergies can be very serious. If you have a food allergy it is important to have an emergency plan so you know what to do if you have an allergic reaction. You need an emergency plan so you can recover from an allergic reaction quickly. Your doctor will help you come up with an emergency plan. You should carry a copy with you at all times.

Ms. Vandana  R. Sheth
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

According to the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN), as many as 15 million Americans have food allergies, including approximately 6 million children. Food allergy is a growing public health concern in the US. Though reasons for this are poorly understood, the prevalence of food allergies and associated anaphylaxis appears to be on the rise. The incidence of peanut and tree nut allergy among children appears to have tripled between 1997 and 2008. Research suggests that food-related anaphylaxis might be underdiagnosed.

Food allergy reactions can range from mild to life-threatening (severe). If you are diagnosed with a food allergy, the only way to avoid a reaction is by practicing strict avoidance of that food. If you have multiple food allergies and are avoiding many different foods, you might be at risk of not adequately meeting your nutritional needs. A registered dietitian specializing in food allergies can be a valuable resource in assisting you in this process.

Scientists estimate that approximately 12 million Americans suffer from food allergies.

According to Marc Riedl, MD, who serves as co-director of UCLA’s Food Allergy Clinic, "Food allergies are not as common as most people think. When asked, as many as 30 percent of people will say they have a food allergy, but the vast majority of these people don’t have a true, life-threatening food allergy." The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases estimates that food allergies occur in 6 percent to 8 percent of children 4 years of age or younger, and less than 4 percent of adults.

Dr. Riedl explains, "There is tremendous stress and anxiety associated with perceived food allergies, and often these concerns are unnecessary and unfounded. It’s very uncommon, particularly in adults, to have long lists of true food allergies."

Says pediatric allergist Maria Garcia-Lloret, MD, co-director of UCLA’s Food Allergy Clinic, "Misdiagnoses often occur when people receive blood allergy tests for multiple foods. In some cases, these tests may overestimate the body’s immune response to the antigen that causes a reaction. This may prompt some people to restrict their diets unnecessarily, which can increase financial burdens for families who believe they need to purchase expensive, specialized foods to avoid allergic reactions, and may also lead to nutritional deficiencies in children."

Food allergies affect about 6 percent of children and 3.5 percent of adults. Recent US studies indicate that the prevalence of food allergies is increasing. For children, the most significant food allergies are milk, egg and peanuts, with prevalence rates of 2.5 percent, 1.3 percent and 0.8 percent, respectively. Rates of food intolerances are much higher than true IgE-mediated food allergies.

The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Food allergies affect 4 to 8 percent of children and 2 percent of adults. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in the US, food allergy incidence increased by 18 percent from 1997 to 2007. Reasons for this increase range from misdiagnosis to potential increases due to extreme approaches to cleanliness.

Dr. Clifford W. Bassett, MD
Allergist & Immunologist

Common food allergies come in very many different colors and shapes, with reactions ranging from mild to life-threatening. For instance, some people develop oral allergy symptoms that include itchiness of the mouth and throat after ingestion of various foods such as fruits and veggies. On the other end of the spectrum, some people develop generalized or potentially life-threatening allergic-type reactions after exposure to even small quantities of food they are indeed sensitive to.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Everything You Need to Know About Food Allergies
Whether shrimp makes you itchy or eggs give you hives, you’re in good company. Food allergies affect around 32 million Americans, according to the non...
What is the food elimination test?
Because food has such an influence on our digestion, it stands to reason that you can change the way...
What is a food allergy?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
A food allergy is the body's reaction when the immune system gets confused and attacks things in foo...
What Can I Do If I Suspect I Have a Food Allergy?