How can I protect my child from an allergic reaction to peanuts?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The only way to prevent an allergic reaction to peanuts is to keep your child from eating or breathing in peanut protein. Read food labels carefully, and make sure your home doesn't have any products that contain peanuts. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requires food products to be clearly labeled if it contains ingredients that commonly cause allergic reactions. If you eat at a restaurant, ask questions about ingredients and inform employees of your child's allergy. Make sure that your child's teachers, babysitters, and other family members or caregivers are aware of the peanut allergy, and also ensure that your child understands his or her peanut allergy. In case of accidental exposure, make sure that everyone knows the symptoms of an allergic reaction and how to administer emergency medications.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

What should I feed a baby with a milk allergy?
Since many kids are allergic to the protein in cow's milk, you need to watch out for symptoms that m...
How can I help my child manage a food allergy?
Dr. Clifford W. Bassett, MDDr. Clifford W. Bassett, MD
  Here are some tips and strategies that may help to reduce the risks during Halloween if you have ...
What Can I Do If I Suspect I Have a Food Allergy?
What Are the Symptoms of Food Allergies?