How can I protect my child from an allergic reaction to peanuts?

The only way to prevent an allergic reaction to peanuts is to keep your child from eating or breathing in peanut protein. Read food labels carefully, and make sure your home doesn't have any products that contain peanuts. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requires food products to be clearly labeled if it contains ingredients that commonly cause allergic reactions. If you eat at a restaurant, ask questions about ingredients and inform employees of your child's allergy. Make sure that your child's teachers, babysitters, and other family members or caregivers are aware of the peanut allergy, and also ensure that your child understands his or her peanut allergy. In case of accidental exposure, make sure that everyone knows the symptoms of an allergic reaction and how to administer emergency medications.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Are Your Food Allergies Real?
Are Your Food Allergies Real?
Many parents refused to take their children to see last year’s film Peter Rabbit. The movie includes a scene in which Peter and a gang of bunnies use ...
How can a child's food allergy be diagnosed?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
In many cases, an allergist can diagnose food allergies from the history and supportive testing usin...
If I have a food allergy, how can I avoid having a reaction?
Dr. Clifford W. Bassett, MDDr. Clifford W. Bassett, MD
It's so important if you are invited to a holiday dinner to speak with your host prior to them prepa...
What Are the Symptoms of a Food Sensitivity to Corn?