How common is peanut allergy?

Our studies in the US, which used a self-report approach, showed a tripling in peanut allergy among children from one in 250 in 1997 to 1 in 70 in 2008.  This figure of over 1% of children affected matches estimates from Canada, the UK and Australia.
Peanut allergy is considered a relatively common ailment among Americans with around one percent (approximately 3 million people) having a peanut allergy. Currently, about 15 million Americans have food allergies, and the numbers are rising. In the last 15 years, the number of children with food allergies has doubled. For some reason, the number of people with peanut allergy in particular appears to have tripled.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Are Your Food Allergies Real?
Are Your Food Allergies Real?
Many parents refused to take their children to see last year’s film Peter Rabbit. The movie includes a scene in which Peter and a gang of bunnies use ...
Could my peanut allergy last for the rest of my life?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
A peanut allergy is the food allergy most likely to be life-threatening, but is it lifelong? In this...
How is a dairy allergy different from lactose intolerance?
Dr. Mark Hyman, MDDr. Mark Hyman, MD
Functional Medicine Specialist and family physician Dr. Mark Hyman explains how a dairy allergy ...
What Increases My Risk for a Food Allergy?