How common is peanut allergy?

Our studies in the US, which used a self-report approach, showed a tripling in peanut allergy among children from one in 250 in 1997 to 1 in 70 in 2008.  This figure of over 1% of children affected matches estimates from Canada, the UK and Australia.
Peanut allergy is considered a relatively common ailment among Americans with around one percent (approximately 3 million people) having a peanut allergy. Currently, about 15 million Americans have food allergies, and the numbers are rising. In the last 15 years, the number of children with food allergies has doubled. For some reason, the number of people with peanut allergy in particular appears to have tripled.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Everything You Need to Know About Food Allergies
Whether shrimp makes you itchy or eggs give you hives, you’re in good company. Food allergies affect around 32 million Americans, according to the non...
What foods can I eat if I have a soy allergy?
Overland Park Regional Medical CenterOverland Park Regional Medical Center
People with soy allergies need to read labels and avoid anything containing soy listed on the label....
How can I protect my child with food allergies?
Parents have long been advised to avoid introducing certain foods—spices, dairy, wheat, for example—...
How to Spot Food Allergies in Kids
How to Spot Food Allergies in Kids