Is there a difference between a food allergy and a food intolerance?

Much confusion surrounds food intolerances versus food allergies. Food allergies are an immunologic reaction that involves specific IgE—usually to a food protein. For instance, an individual who is allergic to cow’s milk because of a reaction to milk protein has a true food allergy. On the other hand, food intolerances are defined as non-immunologic adverse food reactions. An example is a person who may have intolerance to cow’s milk because of an inability to digest the sugar lactose. Although lactose deficiency can lead to gastrointestinal symptoms from an inability to digest lactose, the response would not be classified as a food allergy, since it is not immune based.

The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Many people think the terms food allergy and food intolerance mean the same thing, but they do not. A food intolerance, unlike a food allergy, does not involve the immune system and is not life-threatening. For example, lactose intolerance (trouble digesting the milk sugar lactose) is a common food intolerance. Symptoms may including abdominal cramps, bloating and diarrhea which are uncomfortable but they are not life threatening.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies & Food Intolerance

Everything You Need to Know About Common Food Allergies
Whether shrimp makes you itchy or eggs give you hives, you’re in good company. Food allergies affect around 32 million Americans, according to the non...
Why Is Healthy Digestion Important?
Why Is Healthy Digestion Important?
Why Should I Avoid High-Fructose Corn Syrup?
How Can I Get My Digestion Back on Track?