What are the causes and risk factors of food allergy?

Joan Salge Blake, MS, RD
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

A food allergy is an abnormal physical reaction of the immune system in response to the consumption of a particular food allergen. Food allergens are proteins that are not broken down during cooking or by the gastric juices and enzymes in the body during digestion. Because they are not degraded, they enter the body intact, and can cause an adverse immune reaction if the allergen is perceived as a foreign invader.

No one really knows why some people have food allergies and others don’t. Having asthma or eczema increases the chance of having a food allergy. 

Like other kinds of allergies, the tendency to have an allergy to food—although not the specific allergy—is inherited. Not only that, but certain foods—including tree nuts, eggs, wheat, peanuts, fish, shellfish and milk—are frequent troublemakers. Children often have more food allergies than adults do, especially to cow's milk and to peanuts. Infants outgrow many food allergies by the age of four. Allergic reactions to shellfish, tree nuts and fish are more common in adults.

Ms. Vandana  R. Sheth
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Food allergies do run in families. If a child has two parents with food allergies, it significantly increases the chances of the child developing food allergies. However, there is an increase in the number of children developing allergies without a family history of allergies.

Continue Learning about Food Allergies Causes & Risks

What foods should I avoid during pregnancy if I am at risk for allergies?
Paul M. Ehrlich, MDPaul M. Ehrlich, MD
Women with a propensity to allergy should avoid eggs, milk, peanuts, and other high-allergy food...
What foods commonly cause food allergies?
Dr. Paul M. Ehrlich, MDDr. Paul M. Ehrlich, MD
While any food can cause allergies, 90 percent of all food-allergic reactions are caused by: Eggs...
Why do I have a food allergy now that I'm older?
Though most individuals develop food allergies in early childhood, food allergies can develop at any...
When does a food allergy reaction occur?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Food allergies occur when your body's immune system reacts to a substance in food, usually a pro...