How does fluoxetine treat obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)?

Fluoxetine is used in conjunction with other medications and treatment options to treat obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). For some people with obsessive-compulsive disorder, there is evidence of low serotonin levels. Fluoxetine helps to increase the amount of serotonin in the brain. Fluoxetine would be used in conjunction with psychotherapy, cognitive behavior therapy, and possibly with antipsychotic drugs to help control the obsessive-compulsive behavior.

Continue Learning about Fluoxetine

How should I take fluoxetine?
Fluoxetine is available as a tablet, capsule, delayed release capsule, syrup or solution. You should...
Should breastfeeding women take fluoxetine?
Fluoxetine can pass into breast milk. This medicine is part of a group called selective serotoni...
What should I know about fluoxetine before taking it?
You should not take fluoxetine if you are allergic to it or to any of its ingredients. Talk to y...
Can fluoxetine be used to treat premature ejaculation?
Although no form of fluoxetine is specifically approved to treat premature ejaculation, antidepressa...