Can inflexible hamstrings cause low back pain?

Yes, inflexible hamstrings may contribute to lower back pain.  The hamstring muscles attach to the bottom of your pelvis and on the back of your lower leg, so when they become tight and inflexible they have the potential to pull down on your pelvis and cause rounding of the lower back.  Prolonged rounding of the lower back can put tremendous  pressure on the intervertebral discs in the lower spine as well as increase stress to the ligaments that help to support it.  If you suspect that inflexible hamstrings are contributing to your lower back pain, perform self-myofascial release (a form of self-massage) on the hamstrings using a foam roll which will help decrease the tension in the muscle. Follow this with the standing outside thigh stretch which will help to increase hamstring length. 

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

I sit at a desk all day and feel tight after a few hours, what can I do?
A great stretch you can do in your office to prevent tightness is the called the standing hip flexor...
How do I do the shoulder internal-rotators stretch?
How do I do the shoulder internal-rotators stretch? Lie comfortably on your back close to the right ...
What is functional flexibility?
What is functional flexibility? Functional flexibility is flexibility that utilizes a full range of ...
What devices can be used to measure flexibility?
What devices can be used to measure flexibility? For the trunk and lower extremity use a sit and rea...