How can I stretch most effectively?

Stretching is a subject that has been getting more and more attention. There are different approaches to take when viewing stretching.

Stretching before your workout will help to increase circulation and warm up the muscle. General stretching should be used at this time. Do not overstretch before your workout as your joints will be more lax and may decrease the effeciency of your form during your workout.

Stretching after your workout is a great time to focus on lengthening the muscle, to increase your range of motion. At this time you are warmed up and your muscles will be able to work through the stretch better. 

Either way stretching can be helpful to your workout program. Make sure you know what your goals are, what works for you. Don't over stretch. It should never be painful.  

Continue Learning about Flexibility Training

To What Degree Do I Need to Exercise to Improve My Health?
Are There Specific Stretches I Can Do to Prevent Hip Pain From Occurring?