How are flat feet treated?

When people with flat feet start to feel pain, various treatments can help. Over-the-counter or even customized arch supports can ease pain significantly. Basic stretching exercises may also be helpful, as can physical therapy, limiting physical activity, taking pain medicines, or wearing different kinds of shoes. In rare cases, surgery may be needed.
Depending on the cause of flat feet, arch pain may be treated with orthotics, inserts that have proper arch support to relieve the strain on the foot. Mild stretching and anti-inflammatory medications can also be helpful. In people who have tried orthotics and braces without any relief, surgery may be recommended to help with the pain and deformity.

Continue Learning about Flat Feet (Fallen Arches)

When should I see a doctor about my child's flat feet?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
For a small portion of children, foot arches never develop, which is a condition called pediatric fl...
How do flat feet affect the body?
Flat feet are often painless, but they may have the following affects on the body:Discomfort in the ...
What are the symptoms of flat feet?
Thomas P. San Giovanni, MDThomas P. San Giovanni, MD
If you have flat feet, the entire sole of your foot touches the ground when you stand or walk. Your ...
How to Relieve Hip Pain
How to Relieve Hip Pain