Do the new ‘active’ video games count as exercise?

New studies have shown that active video games can count as exercise. People are less active and are no longer spending as much of their free time engaged in physical activity. This is related in part to lack of physical activity in leisure time, but is even more likely the result of people spending increasing amounts of time in sedentary behaviors such as watching television and using computers. Active video games can help turn an otherwise sedentary activity into something more physically demanding. It is unlikely these video games will result in peak physical fitness; however, they have the potential for some health benefits (similar to walking).

Continue Learning about Fitness Resources

Do I need to supplement fitness DVDs with other resources?
Not necessarily. Many DVDs are great for home instruction just for picking up some new tips and ...
Where can I find home workout plans online?
There is no shortage of workout programs online. Many fitness magazines have weekly, monthly, or s...
What are the advantages of using exercise videos?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Exercise videos are a great way to sample a new discipline before you commit to taking a class. ...
How can I get the kind of fitness training used by the Marines?
Some people fantasize about being as fit as a Marine. Watch this video as Dr. Oz learns how batt...