Do the new ‘active’ video games count as exercise?

New studies have shown that active video games can count as exercise. People are less active and are no longer spending as much of their free time engaged in physical activity. This is related in part to lack of physical activity in leisure time, but is even more likely the result of people spending increasing amounts of time in sedentary behaviors such as watching television and using computers. Active video games can help turn an otherwise sedentary activity into something more physically demanding. It is unlikely these video games will result in peak physical fitness; however, they have the potential for some health benefits (similar to walking).

Continue Learning about Fitness Resources

Are workouts from men's or women's fitness magazines safe?
Louis Vitale, NASM Elite TrainerLouis Vitale, NASM Elite Trainer
Workouts in fitness magazines are geared toward the general population and should be used with cauti...
Where can I purchase fitness DVDs?
Kristin Calabrese , NASM Elite TrainerKristin Calabrese , NASM Elite Trainer
Before I purchase a fitness DVD, I do one of two things. I like to "try before I buy." I will either...
How can I get the kind of fitness training used by the Marines?
Greg Schneider , NASM Elite TrainerGreg Schneider , NASM Elite Trainer
As a former combat soldier, I want to be the first to tell you that there is a difference between el...
What Is a Good Exercise I Can Do to Tone My Legs?